Quotes

Monday, April 26, 2010

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

There are some days, rare as they are, when everything seems to go your way. No matter how difficult the task or complicated the details are, it just works. It's like the stars aligned just for you and nothing can go wrong. Today... today was not one of those days.

Last night I had to reset my alarm because of the weekend and well, lets just say I got AM and PM confused. So I woke up late, rushed to get ready and forgot my running stuff. So I decided to run as soon as I got home because it was supposed to start raining again. Well, it never really stopped since yesterday, just slowed to a drizzle, but I'd rather run in a drizzle than a downpour.

I got home before the family. Quickly changed and let the dogs out. Grabbed my walkman and water and headed out. It was here where I made the cardinal mistake. The mistake every distance runner dreads. No, it wasn't forgetting to stretch. Nor was it running without water. How about forgetting your house key and getting locked out..... nope. It was forgetting to do a bathroom check before taking off.

Now I was only planning a short 2 mile run at a slow pace. Just enough to get the legs warmed up but still, when you've got to go, you've got to go.

I decided to cut it short and just turn back at the stop sign, making it roughly 1.5 miles. Now, for anyone that's been in this predicament, I'm sure you're familiar with the bitter-sweetness of speed under these circumstances. You WANT to run fast because the faster you go the sooner the sign of relief, but you DON'T WANT to run fast because of the fear of letting it loose. So which to do? I elected to take it slower. I'm pretty good at holding it in, so I wasn't afraid I'd have an accident.

I finished the 1.5 miles in 15:28. Still not too bad, but I was developing a side stitch, probably from holding it in.

So to quote Hannibal from The A-Team "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Today just wasn't one of those days.

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

LOL. Glad to hear you made it home to let it all out!

MCM Mama said...

BTDT LOL! I usually choose the go slower method too. Glad you made it home.