Quotes

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pre-Race Test Run

Today I ran 8 miles on the NCR Trail as my last training run before the Army 10 Miler.  I will probably do 2 light runs this week (Tues,Thurs) but nothing too strenuous.  I’m also cutting out the squats challenge until next week.  The run was great.  I didn’t leave until about 10 because it was COLD this morning.  By the time I got there, it had warmed up and was a perfect autumn day.  Sun shining, light breeze, and the leaves.  Many of the leaves are changing colors and starting to fall.  It was a very pretty day for a run and I’d wished I’d had my camera. 

My goal was to run 11 min/mile pace, but I was feeling great and pushed it too much the first two miles.  Big mistake.  After two miles, my times got longer.  Not horribly longer, and to be fair I’ve been running 2/1 and not the 3/1 or 4/1 that I’ve done in the past so it shouldn’t have been fast.  Here are my times:

Mile 1: 10:31
Mile 2: 10:33
Mile 3: 11:25
Mile 4: 12:16 (took a minute to have an energy gel)
Mile 5: 11:52
Mile 6: 11:43
Mile 7: 12:00
Mile 8: 11:33
Average mile:  11:29

For the race I’m going to increase the running portion.  Probably 2:30/1 in the hopes of getting closer to 11 min/mile.  

Yesterday was the Baltimore Running Festival and I knew quite a few people running it.  I’ve yet to hear from any of them, but I hope it went well.  I chose not to run any of the distances because of it being a week before the Army 10 Miler.  Next year, I plan to run it.  This afternoon Paige has her last kids race.  I hope she does great today! 

Happy weekending!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job on the 8. And what a better time than a training run to learn the importance of not going out too fast. Take that learning with you to the 10-miler and I bet you'll have a great race experience. :-)