Quotes

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

K.I.S.S.

No, it doesn't mean Knights in Satan's Service.  It means:

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid


After my training for the Army 10 Miler and the Shamrock Marathon, I've learned that trying to plan out a thorough training program just doesn't work well, at least for me it doesn't.  After careful review of many half-marathon training programs, I've settled upon this:


It's simple and to the point.  Three runs per week, two are 3 mile runs, the other a long run.  I build gradually with a recovery week every 4th week.  Simple and too the point.  If, on any given run, I feel the urge for some speed work, I'll do it.  Otherwise, it's just another run.  Intervals vs non-intervals will be the same. 

Yesterday was the first run of training.  I did almost 4.5 miles at a 2:1 interval.  It's been months since doing intervals so they felt odd, and of course, my lungs weren't used to the constant start and stop now so it took some getting used to.  It was hot as can be and very humid, but otherwise a good run.

I'm having PRK laser eye surgery on Friday so I won't be getting a long run in this coming weekend.  I'm taking most of next week off work to recover so I'll try and get one in at some point.  It all depends on how I feel.

No comments: