Quotes

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Snow, Sunsets, and Springtails

First off, I haven't run since my awesome miler last Tuesday.  Last Thursday I was fitted for custom inserts by my podiatrist.  As I've mentioned before, I've been diagnosed with short Achilles tendons, and he wanted to wait until after my marathon before putting me in them. (not really sure why he couldn't have fitted me before though).  It's going to take about a month to have them made.  I haven't had much trouble lately, as I've been wearing a nighttime splint at home, and try to be consistent with stretching.  Hopefully this will push it over the edge with stretching them back out.  I do not want to wear night splints forever.

Works been busy and I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Upstate New York.   I'm working on an accreditation program for child and youth services on Army installations regarding pesticides.  If all goes well, this program will involve more short trips as an assessor of the program.  With the budget crisis, things have been iffy, but it's a program with significant merit for the health of our military children.

Snow - It rained all last night, but this morning we were in a down right blizzard.  It only lasted about an hour, then slowly tapered off to a rain, but made for a rough morning.

Sunsets - The day cleared up and we ended it watching a great sunset over Lake Ontario, too bad it wasn't warm enough to get out of the car!

Springtails - These are fascinating insects with an odd appendage that attaches under their belly which they use to fling them in the air.  Their about 1/4 the size of a flea and live in moist environments.  You can usually find them under rocks in the soil.  One of the daycare facilities we inspected today has had a reoccurring problem with springtail infestations.  Only one of the odd things I deal with and why I  love my job!

1 comment:

Nej said...

I was just measured for custom inserts last week. (overly flexible ankles and insanely high arches) I'm excited about getting them in and trying them out. :-)

Hope they work out well for you!!!