Quotes

Monday, July 19, 2010

My Body Hate Me! But I Don't Care!

I've been sidelined from running for over a week now. Gout flared its ugly head again.  A full on attack.  I haven't had one of those in a long time.  For the most part I've had my gout problem under control.  Small twinges here and there but a good dose of NSAIDs and it's gone the next day.  Not this time.  It came on slow but hit me pretty hard.  Not incapacitatingly hard, but hard enough that I haven't been able to run since my race last Sunday.  After a ton of ibuprofen, naproxen, and indomethecin, it's feeling much better.  Still a little bit sore but just barely.  Tonight I'm going to attempt a 3 mile run.  Wish me luck!

Sometimes I feel like my body just does not want me to be a runner.  Last week was one of those times.  But DAMMIT! I'm not listening!  So I've been patiently waiting for the pain to subside, then I'll be back out there pounding pavement with the rest of you. 

In ten days I will be heading to the Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree.  My mentor and I are splitting the mission and I get the second half.  It's going to be a busy, stinky, hot, teenager filled week.  They are having a 5K run one of the mornings.  I'm looking forward to that.  After I'm done, I'll come home for two days then fly out to Phoenix for a week long conference.  It should be a great time.  My sister lives there so I get to hang out with her some. 

When I get back from the conference it's time to start my Army Ten Miler training.    Until then, I'm going to run when I can, just enjoy it.  Come August 15th, I'll be "bringing it!"

4 comments:

EZEthan said...

Bummer about the gout onset... that picture is pretty awesome though!

teacherwoman said...

You know, I have been running for 6 years now (I think) and there are still times where I think my body is trying to tell me NOT to run. It's frustrating.

The Boring Runner said...

Ouch, that SUCKS!

Funny, I was just going to post about how awesome the picture is too (EZE beat me to it though)

James said...

It's really a good portrait of how gout feels. Sharp pain for no reason. And there really is no cure for it, only treating the symptoms and taking preventive measures. It definitely keeps me on my toes (or off them!)