Quotes

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Float like a...

Written Friday Feb. 12th.


I've been in Jacksonville Florida this week for an entomology convention and have been running in a great place, The Naval Air Station. First of all, it's Florida so the terrain is flat. Makes for a nice run. Secondly, The view is awesome. I've been running along the water watching sail boats, sea gulls, and the occasional mock sea rescue. A much better place to run than in Maryland at this time of year. It's given me the opportunity to relax and not worry about ice or my ears freezing off.

Back in my younger days (Makes me sound like an old grandpa!) I was always restrained by my lungs for my running. It wasn't very often that I was held back because my legs were giving out. Except for when I injured my left ankle during senior year cross country (I really should have seen a doctor on that one), my legs never gave me much grief. I know I wasn't the most graceful runner. I'd liken my running to the flying of a housefly (erratic) than a butterfly (graceful).

Since having my feet problems, I've noticed the opposite. It didn't take too long for my lungs to catch up to speed on running, but my feet just are not fluid at all. I've had to adjust myself, and now, after about 3 weeks into it, my feet feel stronger but not near what they used to be. Maybe it's all in my head and I'm being over sensitive because I don't want to injure myself. Or maybe it's true and I look like the most awkward runner on the road. Regardless, I'm out there for myself and not what others think of me. So as the saying goes I might not float like a butterfly, but I'm doing my damnedest to sting like a bee. Ok, maybe a sweat bee. lol

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yes, it doesn't matter what others think. You are out there for yourself and your health.