Quotes

Monday, October 24, 2011

Movie Review Monday

Welcome to a new topic here at the Runners Bug.  Movie reviews! I'll be sharing some running connections in movies and my input on them.  Sure I can do reviews for the typical "running movie", but that's just not me.  They may not be centered on running, but all will have some connection, no matter how small, to the sport we all love to hate, or hate to love!

Movie:  Yes Man
Year:  2008
Lead Actors:  Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Bradley Cooper, and John Michael Higgins
 
Synopsis:  Carl (Jim Carrey) is stuck in a rut, a very big rut.  He's "recently" divorced and becoming more and more a hermit.  A chance meeting with an old friend leads him to a seminar on saying yes, and he decides (or is hoodwinked into) agreeing to say "Yes" to everything.  He meets Allison (Zooey Deschanel) the same night and a long and twisted rebirth happens for Carl, with Allison in tow. 

Reasons I Like This Movie:  Although quite comical, the overall concept of opening one's self up to new possibilities by saying "yes" is intriguing.  How many missed opportunities have you had because you declined an offer, or otherwise said no?  If one was to actually adopt this philosophy, there is no telling what life may bring. We could all stand to bring a little more "yes" into our lives.

Running Connection:  The connection with running is pretty lose.  Allison leads a running photography club.  It's comprised of people that like to run and like to take photos.  She just put the two together.  The running photography scenes are quite funny, and although only a minor part of the movie, they illustrate the quirky nature that is Allison.

Since seeing the movie several years ago, I've always liked the concept.  Two things I enjoy doing thrust together in a swirling spiral like peanut butter and banana.  They might not traditionally go together, but can make for quite an interesting treat.... just ask Elvis!

I must say, I picked this movie because of my last post.  I already had a review of this movie in mind when I decided to take pictures throughout my last run at Centennial Park.  I imagined myself in Allison's group, although I did stop to frame shots and not just randomly click the shutter.  It was a fun experience, and I'll be continuing my Running Photography Club of one.  Who wants to join the club?

Check out "Yes Man" for an upbeat comedic movie with an interesting philosophical bent.  Even if your not a Jim Carrey fan (like Mrs. Runners Bug), I promise you'll take something away from it. 

Now expand that mind of yours and say YES!

Things To Watch Out For: 
A perfect fit for Third Eye Blind's Jumper song.
Good performance by Terrance Stamp.
Zooey Deschanel in her naturally zany self
Jim Carrey dressed as Harry Potter and Zooey Deschanel dressed as Hermione Granger
The Drunken Brawl



Clipboard01 

2 comments:

Annie said...

I like this movie when I saw it too... thought it would be fun to have a running photography group. You'd be perfect for it though! Meet-Up group idea?? hah!

Lacey Sue said...

I. LOVE. This. MOVIE :)