Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Decision Needs to be Made

My coughing has gotten much better now that I'm on medicine.  It's still present and fairly often but not near as harsh or presistent.  If this continues, I'm hoping it will go away in the next several days.  This leaves me with a decision to be made....

When should I feel safe to return to running?

I know the rule is above the head - run, below the head - don't run, but what about returning?  Should I wait until the cough is gone, or would it be acceptable to start again once it's gone down to a minor cough?  Give that it's getting better I'd like to hope that by Sunday the cough will have diminished to something minor or gone away altogether, but I can't be certain.  I'm going to be optimistic and state that by Sunday I should be able to resume running (although I will absolutely have to adjust my training schedule!) 

What do you guys think? 


Andrew Opala said...

I'm interested in what people will reply - I know nothing about sickness and training. We always got benched on my sports teams when we were sick or had coughs. Then were allowed to play once we got better.

James said...

I hope to get some answers. What is the dividing line for "better". Usually when I get sick with a bad cough, it can take weeks to get over coughing but feel better otherwise. I don't want to waste precious training time but also don't want to run the risk of complications.

Paul said...

I was recovering from a head cold..with light cough and decided to run the Pasadena half Marathon .

Didn't go for PR but did 1:58 and felt good..but just after finishing started coughing nonstop...But some tea and honey and I was ok...no problems...cold continued to fade.
So, one datapoint.

Lisa said...

You are recovering from bronchitis? I'd wait 'til cough was gone or darn near gone.

having said that, i have allergies that make me cough and i will exercise with a light cough.

Adam said...

Ahhh, the $64,000 question. Or, I guess possibly the 64,000 loony question for Andrew.....

So, since you posted this on Weds, I'd say that you're ready to rock by now. I just had a cough and sorta ran through it. But it wasn't anywhere NEAR as bad as bronchitis.

What I've done in the past is take off a few days and wait until I get better while NOT running. At the end of the day, taking a extra few days off of running to get better a week faster is a great tradeoff.